The following personnel may apply for Military Membership of the RNSA:
- Army and RAF personnel who expect to or have served for a minimum of 6 months in an assignment with the RN or RM.
- Members of the other services who have formed part of a Joint Service crew in a Trans-Ocean race, or expedition.
- Civilians, including Civil Servants, who are employed in a post with direct attachment to naval organisations listed above can join after a 6-month qualifying period in post.
Applications to join must be received within 6 months of individuals completing their qualifying Assignment/Event. Members admitted in these categories will remain eligible to continue membership unless they allow their membership to lapse when they will not be entitled to re-join.
Personnel who do not qualify for Naval or Military Membership as defined above may apply for Associate Membership as follows:
- The Executive Committee may award Associate Membership to individual members of the Army Sailing Association, RAF Sailing Association or Civil Service Sailing Association, who do not meet the criteria for Naval or Military membership.
- Exceptionally, Associate Membership may be offered to an individual who is not a member of a Service Sailing Association if they have or will provide significant support to RNSA.
- Members of the Maritime Reserves who are not liable for active service (e.g. DTUS and URNU).
- Service Dependents (see Family Membership below).
- On the death of a member the spouse/partner will be offered Associate Membership.
Associate members will enjoy the same benefits as the other categories of membership, although will be entitled to fly the appropriate RNSA burgee for their membership category.
Temporary Members can participate in up to 3 on-the-water single day taster sessions or other similar RNSA activities designed to reach out to grassroots and encourage membership / meet RNSA’s charitable Object.
Personnel must be serving to be eligible for this category of membership.
Members may elect to include their immediate family members in their membership as Associate Members.
Eligibility for family membership applies to spouses / civil partners and offspring* up to eighteen years of age or up to twenty-five years of age if in full time education.
Family membership will incur a small increase in the membership subscription.
*Offspring includes adopted and stepchildren but does not extend to grandchildren.